At the SAIA we believe that our people reflect our values and goals and that each employee is a key role player and contributor to the success of the association. We are committed to taking on new challenges and creating an environment where people can reach their career aspirations.
We have a team that is committed to supporting and serving our members, the SAIA Board and stakeholders.
Job Title: Legal Specialist
Job Category: Professional / Specialist
Division: Governance and Transformation
Reports to: General Manager: Governance and Transformation
Direct Reports: Departmental Administration Assistant
Key Internal Relations: SAIA Management and Team
Key External Relations: SAIA Board Members and member companies SAIA Board Committees and Forums, National Treasury (NT), South African Reserve Bank (SARB), Financial Sector Conduct Authority (FSCA), Prudential Authority (PA), Compliance Institute of South Africa (CISA), Ombudsman for ShortTerm Insurance (OSTI), Ombud for Financial Service Providers (FAIS Ombud), Association for Savings and Investments South Africa (ASISA), Financial Intermediaries Association (FIA), Banking Association of Southern Africa (BASA) South African, Underwriting Manager Association (SAUMA),
Job Purpose: To provide professional legal guidance and advisory services to the SAIA team and on behalf of SAIA members in respect to legislation affecting the non-life insurance industry.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide meaningful expert guidance and advice on the legislation, regulations and the practical consequences that follow their implementation for the non-life insurance industry.
- Participate in legislation and regulation processes impacting the financial sector and the non-life insurance industry.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with key stakeholders within the financial sector legislative and regulatory environment (NT, SARB, FSCA, PA, OSTI) other key industry stakeholders (FIA, SAUMA, ASISA, BASA). • Scan for future developments in the legislative landscape and identify their relevance and impact on the non-life insurance industry.
- Coordinate and manage all the relevant internal SAIA Committees (Conduct of Business and Prudential Committees).
- Represent SAIA and its members in all relevant external committees/forums at regulatory authorities and other external fora. • Providing legal support to SAIA on internal legal matters (labour legislation, contracting, review of legal documents); its forums and industry projects run by SAIA.
- Instruct and liaise with external legal experts (attorneys and counsel) on matters requiring external expert opinions.
- Draft submissions on draft legislation and subordinate legislation on behalf of the SAIA and its members.
- Coordinate and submit board papers, board reports, annual review, bulletin articles, industry submissions, media articles pertaining to legal matters etc.
- Manage and coordinate relevant SAIA projects.
- Assist the SAIA team in assessing and adjudicating complaints against the SAIA code of conduct.
Together with the above the successful candidate will be required to sign a more detailed performance agreement upon commencing employment as well as the SAIA internal code of conduct and any other related policies governing the SAIA.
Education, skills, knowledge, experience and attitude
- LLB degree, admitted as an attorney or advocate.
- At least 2 years’ experience in legal advisory preferably in insurance law and contract drafting.
- 3 – 5-year experience in the non-life insurance industry, preferably in a compliance/legal function.
- Working knowledge of insurance legislation and regulations including, but not limited to the Financial Sector Regulation Act (FSRA), Insurance Act, the Financial Advisory and Intermediary Services (FAIS) Act, Financial Intelligence Centre (FIC) Act and other relevant Financial Services Laws
- Analytical thinker. • Problem solving ability.
- Excellent writing skills needed for drafting and reporting.
- Ability to facilitate workshops and chair meetings.
- Deadline driven.
- Excellent negotiator.
- Leadership style that provides confidence whilst building relationships internally and externally.
- Able to work with diverse teams.
- Task and goal oriented.
- Works towards achieving the organisation’s objectives and upholds the organisation’s internal code of conduct governing staff.
To apply for this position send your CV to email@example.com.