12 December 2014
The SAIA wishes road users a safe journey over the festive season
The South African Insurance Association (SAIA) calls on road users to be careful during the festive season as the traffic volumes start to increase on national roads.
“We urge all road users to obey traffic laws and to be vigilant on the roads this festive season to ensure their safety, their families and that of other road users,” said SAIA Chief Executive, Ms Viviene Pearson.
The SAIA advises road users to make sure that they have adequate insurance cover and shares the following tips to ensure road users travel safely:
- Make certain that your insurance premiums are up to date
- Keep your policy number and 24hr road assistance number handy for in case of an emergency
- Travel during the day and reach your destination on time
- Do not drink and drive
- Do not text or talk on your cellphone while driving
- Be on the lookout for pedestrians
- Remember to advise your insurance company if you are travelling outside of South Africa
- Make certain that your vehicle is roadworthy and tyres are in good condition
- Check if your spare wheel is in good condition and that you have a wheel-spanner and jack
- Check if your wipers are in good working order
- Rest after every two hours of driving
Ms Pearson concluded by wishing road users a safe and happy holiday.
Issued by the South African Insurance Association (SAIA)
For more information please contact:
Telephone: +27 11 726 5381