The South African Machinery Insurers’ Association
Anti-Competitive Policy Statement
“This forum is constituted to discuss issues affecting the industry. Various national and international laws restrict the exchange of information amongst competitors which might influence market conditions or lead to abuse. No such exchange or discussion will be permitted during any SAMIA meeting.”
The South African Machinery Insurers’ Association (SAMIA) is a Forum of the SAIA representing Engineering Insurers in the South African short-term insurance market.
The main classes of insurance in the engineering sector include:
- Construction/Erection All Risks
- Advanced Loss of Profits following Construction/Erection All Risks
- Plant All Risks
- Machinery Breakdown
- Loss of Profits following Machinery Breakdown
- Deterioration of Stock following Machinery Breakdown
- Electronic Equipment All Risks
The strategic vision and mission for SAMIA can be summarised as follows:
To be an effective forum for raising awareness and to develop and promote understanding of the Engineering classes of business to the wider insurance market and related stakeholders.
- To build a network of international engineering insurance practitioners to share knowledge.
- To provide training to engineering insurance and related practitioners.
- To promote, investigate, develop and enhance technical matters relating to engineering insurance.
- To promote social interaction between members.
- To engage and participate with other stakeholders on matters concerning engineering insurance.
SAMIA Executive Committee Members
- Zain Hoosen (Chairman) – Zurich Insurance Group Limited
- Susan de Wet (Vice Chairman) - Mutual &Federal Insurance Company Limited
- Kobus van Niekerk – Consort Technical Underwriters
- Samuel McLennan – Mirabilis Engineering Underwriting Managers
- Francois Engels – Hollard Group
- David Waterworth - Mutual & Federal Insurance Company Limited
- Bradley Edwards – Hollard Group
- Letlhogonolo Tau – Sasria
- Philani Mbatha – Munich Reinsurance Company of Africa Ltd (alternate: Thomas Pohl)
To contact or correspond with SAMIA through the above Executive Members, please contact: Promise Mhlanga (Senior Forums Secretariat)
South African Insurance Association (SAIA), Ground floor, Willowbrook House, Lake Drive, Constantia Office Park, c/o 14th Avenue and Hendrik Potgieter Street, Weltevreden Park, 1709, P.O Box 5098, Weltevreden Park, 1715
Tel: +27 11 726 5381, Telefax: 086 647 2275
- Golf Day
- Lunch-time market talk
- Technical presentations
- Annual lunch
- SAIA AGM and Cocktail Function
Planned Future events
- Chairman’s Review 2015
- Contractual agreements in construction projects
- Cyber Risk
- Renewable Energy/Power projects
- Plant All Risks (New Replacement Value’s/Market Value’s and Average
- Third Party Liability (Premium and Claims)
- Inherent Defects